Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Shoe Factory...

When I was in the shoe factory in Bantry I remember Miss Anton, the supervisor, coming in to me and she said; "There's hardly any sewing being done in that room, they're sleeping with open eyes!" And she meant it. I thought that it was comical. Hardly any sewing being done in that room...heh.
The owner, a Mr Frick was German and was not too impressed with the Irish work ethic either. One time a young fella came in and said he wouldn't be at work the next week as he had to bring the sheep down from the mountain. "Oh right" said Mr. Frick "Well I'll close the whole factory so we can get your sheep off the mountain!" He used to complain the Irish were lazy and that German women would be up at 6 o'clock in the morning to go shopping before work, by the way we would still be in bed. We were in bed when they were up and up too late when they were in bed.
The factory didn't last long.

No comments: